Television host and actor Mini Mathur has opened up about her interfaith marriage to filmmaker Kabir Khan, revealing that their relationship was accepted by both families despite their different religious backgrounds. In a recent conversation with Hauterrfly, Mini also spoke about how she and Kabir have approached religion and identity while raising their two children.
Mini, who began her career as a television host before gaining popularity as an MTV VJ, revealed that she married Kabir before joining MTV. She recalled that her marriage later came as a surprise to some people in the industry. “I never wanted my husband’s name in my passport. I didn’t change my name. My kids shouldn’t have either of the parents’ names. I said if they are writing Khan, then they should write Mathur as well,” she said.
According to Mini, she did not encounter any difficulties while registering her children’s names with authorities. “BMC never gave me a problem registering their names. The passport office never gave me a problem registering their names. Now, I don’t know what’s happening but I never faced any opposition.”
Discussing her own relationship with faith, Mini said she is not particularly religious but remains connected to the cultural traditions she grew up with. “I decided that I will do Karva Chauth and ‘havan’ because that’s how I have grown up. And I have a cultural bond with my parents. I am not a religious person myself, but these are the things I have grown up with,” she said.
Mini also recalled how her conservative father eventually accepted Kabir. Initially, she told her father, “Papa, he is a Muslim. He is Khan.” However, three days later, her father responded, “So what if he is Khan? There’s just a difference of ‘na’ in Khan and Khanna. NA is not applicable. Let it be. Let me speak to his mother.”
The couple, who have been married for over 20 years, share daughter Sairah and son Vivaan. Mini revealed that she and Kabir have deliberately avoided assigning a religion to their children on official forms. “I have filled all of their forms as either no religion or humanism. And I would say, ‘Why are you asking me?’ And it was accepted’. Our temple has all the gods.”
Mini added that while she and Kabir do not particularly connect with the religious aspects of their respective faiths, they value their cultural traditions. “Kabir and I both don’t like the religious aspects but we like the cultural aspects.”
Kabir Khan is known for directing films including New York, Bajrangi Bhaijaan and Chandu Champion.
Also Read : Mini Mathur leaves Kushal Tandon with a blunt reminder in Alliance: “Don’t expect ke 8 log woh follow karenge aur uss pange mein padenge”
from Featured Movie News | Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama https://ift.tt/geWPpAx
Comments
Post a Comment